Sunday, July 02, 2006

An Incontinent Truth

I said before we ought to take Gore seriously regarding his non-presidential ambitions, though others feel he should run. My view is that he may be able to do more good outside of office, able to shape and deliver his own message rather than be diluted by the myriad things that the president has to deal with. Others feel differently and I can understand. But it is a matter of success over wielding power for me. I did see his movie in the theatre with about 25 others, even if it broke no records for attendance. The content was much what I expected, the delivery pretty good, and marveled most that such a movie could be in the theatre.

James Hansen, Director of the NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies and Adjunct Professor of Earth and Environmental Sciences at Columbia University's Earth Institute (whew), wrote an article "The Threat to the Planet", including a short review of Gore's movie, in the New York Review of Books. I've followed Hansen's work for decades. He's got real street creed in my view, so much so that when the Bush Administration tried to muzzle him speaking his mind, THEY got slapped, not him. He says some pretty intelligent things from my perspective. I guess we must keep repeating ourselves until enough people really get it.

Now the "incontinent truth" subject of this blog relates to a joke my wife made when entering the theatre and when I went to buy tickets, all I could mutter to the disembodied voice behind the glass was "incontinent". And in fairness, if a blog isn't just verbal incontinence, then we are taking ourselves far too seriously.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home